Beautiful Onyinye-Episode Five




Episode Five


“No! Onyinye, tell me you are joking, please!”

Onyinye let a bitter laugh escape her mouth. “Who jokes about marriage, eh?” she paused for a moment, expecting an answer she knew she was not going to get. “I am getting married in two months.” She sneered at him.

Onyinye’s words were buzzing in Adedamola’s head but he chose not to believe them. He chose not to let those words mess his mind up. So he employed a long laughter to deflate the tension between them. Afterwards, he stepped forward to hug her, but Onyinye shoved him away in fury.  He stared at her with a bolt of shock. Could she be real?

His beaten eyes perused Onyinye’s hardened face for some hints that she was telling lies. Anything like blinking of her eyes or pouting of her lips or twitching of her fingers could do. Those were Onyinye’s normal demeanours whenever she managed to tell lies. The coldness in her still eyes said she meant every word. They maintained eye contact with him. In fact, they almost bore hatred holes in his skin. He felt dizzy with the realization that she was actually telling the truth.

 “To whom?” The words came out unbidden.

“A man who has integrity, values and promises commitment without holding anything back! A man who sees me as a respectable partner and not just some random pretty girl!” Onyinye spewed, holding his gaze.

“Ekaette never mentioned this to me and you didn’t talk about it yesterday. What…”

“Well, sorry. I’m an independent woman with a life far removed from Ekaette’s search light. Besides, I want you to know how it feels to be heartbroken.”

Those last lines had him pacing the floor, deep in thought. He stopped at her feet, glancing briefly at Onyinye’s livid eyes before he looked away.  He ran his hands through his full hairs in frustration and let out a long, hot breath. He was going to control the situation, he told himself several times though he feared he was losing it.  His brains spun in his search for soothing words. When he couldn’t find any, his overworked grey matter went blank. This was not one of those days he concocted the right words to shrink the tension between them.  Eventually, he said, in a very soothing and calming voice, “Onyinye, if this is really true, we can find…” he paused for a moment, searching for the right words.  “Onyinye, I am sorry. I am deeply sorry.  Please, just don’t let it happen. We can talk about this. Let us leave this vicinity, find a quiet place and…’’ His voice trailed off, silenced by Onyinye’s disappearance.

Onyinye had walked out of the kitchen into the living room. She had picked her bag and headed towards the door before he caught up with her. He was not going to let her walk away, so he grabbed her by her arm.  

“Onyinye, I am sorry. I know I messed up. Please forgive me.”

“So you now know how it feels to be heartbroken, eh? You know how I felt the day you broke up with me in a restaurant?”
           
“ Onyinye, I am sorry. I am deeply sorry.” The soberness in his grown man’s eyes were like a child’s. “What do you want me to do, Onyinye? Just tell me and I would anything to have you back. Anything. Please just name it. I would do anything for you, Onyinye.”
           
“Oh! You are willing to do anything, right? Like buying me a Mercedes-Benz-G Wagon, a Range Rover Evoque and a diamond ring. Then a double vacation to the Bahamas and the United States where I could lay in my bikini and dark sunshades facing the sun at the Florida beach? And spend the night in the expensive Mirage Hotel, Las Vegas?”  She paused, wishing for more luxury possessions to pop up in her head. “Oh! You should include Hermes, Fendi and Chanel bags!  Don’t forget Christine Louboutin shoes and blah-blah-blah.” She sniggered.
           
He raked his hand through his hair in frustration, before saying, “I did not mean it that way.” His eyes widened in shock. “I did not mean it that way!” He yelled. “Onyinye, what is wrong? This is not the Onyinye I know.” He stared at her in shook.
           
“Yes!” She exclaimed before she burst again into a bitter laugh. “The one you used to know is the beautiful Onyinye. Sorry, Adedamola, the beautiful Onyinye no longer exists. Now, the one staring right back at you is Onyinye Okoli, who will soon be addressed as Mrs. Onyinye Okeke in two months.” She sniggered again.
           
 Stricken with frustration, Adedamola released a pent-up sigh. Then he paced the tiny space between them nervously. “Okay. What do you want me to do?”
           
“Just leave the door and let me walk out of your mansion in peace,” she said, pointing to the door.
           
Adedamola turned around and was astounded that he truly was standing by the doorway. He did not even know he was near any door. Onyinye was the only object his mind saw. He was oblivious of every other thing in the living room. If not, he should have noticed the ongoing vibrations of the mobile phone in his hip pocket.
           
“Please, excuse me,” she gestured to the door.
           
“Please, don’t go.” Adedamola was still standing by the door.
           
“The problem with you is that you think you can win me over with money.”
           
“That’s not true!”
           
“If not why do you think you can dump me, show up unexpectedly to bring me into a mansion, hoping that I can get carried away by the ambience of wealth around you and forget you once dumped me?  Who does that? You thought I would jump at you and start singing your praise because you brought me into a big house in Ikoyi?  Think again, dude.”
           
“No! That was not my intent. I brought you here because I want us to start a family in this house. I didn’t bring you here to show off. If you don’t want this house, we can get a smaller one. Onyinye, please.”
           
“It is too late.” Onyinye turned to leave, but he grabbed her arm again. “I just don’t understand how you expect to meet me the way you left me. Or do you think I was made with a manual instructing that I must be with you alone?  You think you are the most important thing in my life right now and forever? That you are so indispensable that I’d fast and pray that you come back to me whenever you deemed fit? That if you aren’t interested anymore, no other guy would? You must really have taken me for some pathetic, brain-dead girl, Adedamola.” She paused for a while to catch her breath and then continued, “Do you know what attracted you to me? I can’t lie that I didn’t find you attractive the first time I set my eyes on you. I did until your friends started to call you all sort of names. That made me think you were some rich kid with enough money to throw around. I didn’t envisage a romantic relationship with you until I learnt about your academic achievements. I was impressed when you mentioned your master’s degree in Computer Engineering and the brilliant business plans you intended to initiate in future. You sounded very diligent and highly focused. I envisioned you as a serious minded and focused person. Although, along the line, I realised how you weren’t even as focused as I thought you would be, but I didn’t give up on you. I was always hopeful that one day you shall stick to a career, but you eventually broke up with me because of a career in music. Yet, you don’t want to talk about that same music. You don’t want to talk about the two years you devoted to building your dream career in music.” She paused again to catch her breath. “I don’t want to be with someone who is not focused,” she said before she turned to leave, but he grabbed her again. Onyinye struggled to have her way until she saw him fall on his knees and she became iced up.  So the mighty could fall? So he could ever kneel for her? Whoa!
           
Onyinye felt a surge of wicked satisfaction as she stared into his tender, sober eyes. She was very glad that she was the one in charge at that moment. He had always been the one in charge while she danced to his tunes. Him being everything she had always wished for made her treat him like an idol, and not a partner.

Right from the beginning of their relationship, she would talk endlessly about how privileged she had been to have him in her life. Her friends didn’t help matters. They always sang his praise to her ears. Unconsciously, she put him in a dominant role, choosing instead, to play the happy subordinate.
           
“Adedamola, you took my emotions for granted. You were always playing the dominant roles without me questioning them.”
             
“No!” He exclaimed, as he rose to his feet. “We were good together.  I know that. I love you and you love me. We were good together,” he said with an aggression in his voice. He knew he should not be aggressive. So then in a soft and soothing voice, he added, “I never took your emotions for granted. If not, how come you never ever mentioned it to me?”
           
“I never knew, until when I met another guy, Emeka.  At first, I felt he was too sluggish and docile. Later on, I realised the problem was with me. You know, I expected him to be very bossy like you. To be in control of everything. In fact, I ruined my first relationship with him.” She paused looking deep into his eyes. “Adedamola, I can never forget our first date. I was so nervous. All the words I wanted to say, I could not just say them. I was just too nervous. And you know, then, I felt I was not good enough for you. Like I was not intelligent enough for you. You know that kind of feeling now?”
           
“No! I don’t understand. Why would I treat you that way? Why?” He paused for thought. “If I truly did, then give instances. Give me.”
           
A heavy and brooding silence descended upon them.
           
“You never wanted to listen to my opinions,” Onyinye said, breaking the silence. “You would rather argue your point out. You always wanted to be right. You didn’t like it when I opposed your views or wanted to do something that was contrary to your wish. And you know, I was always scared of loosing you, so I submitted to your will.”
           
“Honey, I never knew I treated you that way. Why would I want to do that, eh?” He paused. “Onyinye, look at me.” When their eyes met, he continued, “To be sincere, I don’t know such thing as being dominant or subordinate in any relationship. I swear to God. I don’t even know such a thing exists. I did not know I was doing that, Onyinye.”
           
“Then why did you leave me? Why? What did I do wrong?” She blurted out.
           
“Honey, I left the country because I was confused about everything.  I was confused about my career and then about the prospect of our relationship. My parents wanted me to be part of the family business by all means and then my Mum was not okay with our relationship because you are Igbo.” He paused for a moment. “Sorry, I never mentioned that to you.” He stared at her briefly. “Honey, I wanted to run away from all the confusion around me. But I realised in a hard way that instead of running away, I was supposed to fight for what I wanted.  Onyinye, I have made my parents realise that I can decide what I want for my life. While I was in the States, I worked as a Software Developer and I did pretty well. I have a job now and I still have the plan to initiate the business idea I discussed with you few years back. And about our relationship, my family members are eager to see you on Dad’s birthday.” He heaved a sigh. “Please don’t give up on me, Onyinye. I really love you. I have never loved a woman the way I love you. Please.”
             
In silence, he studied her demeanor. Her livid eyes were staring at the blank television. Her hands were folded across her chest. He believed from the expression on her face, that she was holding back torrents of words. After a brief pause, her eyes rolled back to him. She smiled a bitter smile as she said, “I can’t break up with my fiancé so that I can be with you.”
           
Adedamola’s heart bled as he watched her walk away despite his incessant persuasions. Even after several minutes that she walked away, he stood at the doorpost of the living room in total shock. It was beyond his expectation. He thought it would be easy to get her back. And she had never spoken to him like that before. She was always very slow to anger and very apologetic. She was the most peaceful person he ever met, so if she could call out all his faults in that manner, it meant he was really bad. When he eventually left the doorpost, he spent the rest of the day pacing around the house. All through the night, he hardly slept. The night was really long from replaying old memories. The following morning, her ever cheerful face was the first thing he saw in his mind’s eyes. And as he thought about the previous day, he hoped that it was just a bad dream.  It wasn’t until she left that he realised how much he loved her.  He truly had underestimated her. He thought it wouldn’t be difficult to make up with her.

The following morning, he got out of the bed, paced thoughtfully around his room before he checked his drawer for painkiller. His head was banging and he could hear his heart beats. All these reactions for a woman, he was surprised. He didn’t find any painkiller around so he staggered out of his room and headed for the kitchen. He hadn’t gotten close to the kitchen when he became aware of some clattering sounds emerging from the kitchen. He was surprised because he was the only one in the house. He walked into the kitchen and was so shocked that he was temporarily rendered speechless.
           
“Good morning.” Onyinye said, staring hard into Adedamola’s worn-out eyes.
           
Onyinye leaned against the kitchen cabinet for a brief moment before she turned to pick a polythene bag that was sitting on the kitchen cabinet. She rummaged through the polythene bag before she brought out a big paper bag from it and then handed it over to him. He stared inquisitively at her before he looked at the content of the bag in his hand. He brought out a new set of utensils, and then she started talking while looking into his eyes.
           
“I bought them from The Games this morning. I like bright coloured utensils in the kitchen. I…” She paused to walk around the kitchen for a short time, and then turned to him. “I don’t know why I am here. And it is so sad that after all the drama I displayed yesterday, I came back too soon. Yesterday was just mere Nollywood.
           
Adedamola hurried out of the tiny corner he stood speechless and rushed to embrace her. He laughed from the whole of his heart before he said, “So you were joking? Whoa! Oh my God! You are such a drama queen. You got me. You…”
           
 “It wouldn’t have been a joke if only Emeka and I didn’t have the same genotype. He is really a good guy. He loves…” He placed his hand over her mouth, but she wouldn’t stomach the rest of her words, so she continued, “No let me talk!” She raised her fingers at him. “Let me talk,” she widened her stares. “Couple of months ago, Emeka and I decided to tie the knot a few months from now. This is one of those reasons why I moved to another organization because we were colleagues and the company where we worked does not permit marriage within the organization.  After I picked up a job in an insurance company, we started to make plans to be together. But one day, all the plans we had made crumbled when he learnt of my genotype. We are both ‘AS.’ Can you imagine, he thought I had mentioned it to him that I was ‘AA?’ It was really a catastrophe, you know. And guess what? He was not going to give up. He went everywhere asking for what we could do to avoid having ‘SS’ children. He came up with so many stories about ‘AS’ couples who were fortunate enough to have healthy children. He was willing for us to take the risk. But I can’t.” Onyinye paused, choosing not to mention that she was not madly in love with Emeka to take such a risk. Knowing the kind of man he was, she was never going to say that. In fact, she would never let him know she had wished for the umpteenth time while dating Emeka, that she was still with him. She would never mention to him that she was both sad and happy that she and Emeka had the same genotype. If not, she could not imagine what state of confusion she would have been in. Who could she have chosen? The one that she truly loved or the one that she felt truly loved her?
           
“I didn’t know you were ‘AS’” he said, looking disheartened.
           
“How do you mean?” She looked surprised. She remembered that she had told him that a number of times.
           
“I am ‘AS’ too.”
           
“What!” Onyinye’s heart lurched. She glanced questioningly at him. Her head was in the cloud, not until when she heard him laugh.
           
“I got you!” He exclaimed. They both laughed boisterously. After the laughter ceased, silence fell upon them.
           
“I think I love you too much and for a healthy relationship, love is supposed to be balanced, but mine is more, poor me.”
           
“No way! Onyinye I love you more. I love you more than you can think of.”
           
“Time will tell.” She looked at him for a while before she struggled to have her body out of his tight grip. Then she continued arranging the new utensils on a utensils holder.  Adedamola stared at her for so long before he let out a deep sigh of relief.
           
“I want to be sure I am not dreaming. Onyinye, how did you get into the house?”
           
“The gate man opened for me.”
           
“I know but how did you enter the house?”
           
“You didn’t lock the door.”
           
He laughed boisterously. “I wouldn’t have remembered to lock the door after you left. You know I was too miserable to consider my safety. “My beautiful Onyinye!”  He exclaimed with excitement.
           
“Adedamola, be warned, I am a different lady now. I am not the Onyinye that you used to know. I am different. So if you do anything that it is not okay, I break up with you. In fact, you are still on probation.”
           
Adedamola laughed out before he said, “Just take me to your village; I want to pay your bride price already.”
           
“I could break up with you right now for calling my town a village.”
           
Adedamola burst into a peal of merry laughter. “My beautiful Onyinye, take me to your mega town, I want to pay your bride price.” He paused for a moment before he said, “there is something vibrating in your bag?” He gestured toward her bag, sitting on the kitchen cabinet.
           
“Oh! It is my phone,” she replied, casting a forlorn glance in the direction of her bag. I believe it is Emeka. He is either calling or texting me. As at this morning, I received five text messages from him. He would not just give up.” She stared into the distance, looking at nothing in particular. “In one of those texts he sent this morning, he mentioned God. I was deadly surprised because Emeka hardly mentioned God. He would rather bury his head in one of his Brian Tracy’s books than to go to church on Sunday.  But in one of his text messages, he wrote that we could pray to God so he could give us healthy children when we get married.” Onyinye said, after she released a long pent-up sigh.
           
Adedamola and Onyinye’s eyes locked in a tight glance. “Do you love him?” he asked, staring hard at her.
           
Onyinye was taken aback. She was not prepared for that question neither did she expect any question at all, from him. She was not going to answer him. Never. If she did, she knew her answer would make him feel special again. Aside from that, it seemed unfair to Emeka if she ever mentioned to Adedamola that she had not loved him. So she was going to dock his question.
           
“Do you want me to pick his calls?” Onyinye asked.
           
“Yes.” Adedamola’s response made her heart skip a beat. She stared at him in shock.
           
“So, what should I tell him?”
           
Adedamola raked his bushy hairs with his hands before he began. “Tell him that I really appreciate his friendship with you. He seems to be a good man to me. Tell him I wish him luck in his pursuit for a life partner. ” He paused. His left hand was tapping the table in front of him, while the other hand cupped his face. “Because if not for him you would have known that I have been domineering, while you?” he paused again. “I can’t remember that word you mentioned the other time.”
           
“Subordinate.”
           
“Yes! Subordinate.” He stared at her briefly before he said, “Thank you, Onyinye.
           
“You know something, at times you really act like a good guy.” She laughed.
           
“I am not done with my message for Emeka,” Adedamola said quickly. “Tell him there is a guy called Adedamola who is madly in love with you. And you are also in love with him.” 

To his surprise, Onyinye, moved toward the cabinet,  unzipped her bag and pulled out her phone. She was not surprised to see Emeka’s missed calls and three text messages he sent to her. She was still glancing through the messages when Adedamola stepped forward, pulled out the phone from her hand, dropped it into her bag and pulled her closer. She clutched his back, then buried her face against his chest, allowing herself to enjoy his heartbeats. When she raised her head from his chest to stare at him, his eyes sparkled with happiness. “Ahurumgi n’anya n’ezie! I really do love you,” he said.
           
 His heartbeats, the sparkles in his eyes and his words in her native language made Onyinye smile from the depth of her heart. She had never seen him declare his love for her in that manner. She was glad that they broke up two years ago. That break up was in fact damaging, but it turned out to be really helpful. If not she would not have realised that she could be in charge too. He was no longer in full control. They were now both anchors to the ship of their relationship.  It was a new dawn for her relationship with Adedamola. She could feel it, as she watched rays of early morning sunshine streaming through the window into the kitchen, casting its brilliant glow upon their faces.
           
“A beautiful beginning”, she said in a loud whisper and Adedamola laughed.
           
After the laughter ceased, a silence thick with desire fell upon them. They loved it.  It allowed their ears absorb their heartbeats.  It was really a perfect silence save for the buzzing sound, emerging from Onyinye’s bag. It was Emeka again. He had sent another text message to Onyinye’s phone. And there would be another buzzing soon enough because she knew he was composing a longer one this time. This one, Emeka felt would capture Onyinye’s mind because at the beginning of the message. He had written about an encounter with a doctor to whom he told their love story.  He wrote in long sentences explaining how the doctor assured him that there was a possibility of them having healthy children. Then after that, he wrote about how he felt the first time he set his eyes on her. How her beautiful face made his spines quake. How he struggled to hide his nervousness on their first date and wished he could marry her at that instant.  Then he wrote about an Italian book he read many years ago. It told the story of two young lovers who were condemned for eternity in hell because they chose to be together. He wrote about how he was moved by their powerful love, and how he could do the same for her.  How he could choose to spend every second with her, in an enclosure stoked with inferno, rather than be in paradise without her. He ended the message with, ‘I love you to the moon and back.’ After, he read through it over and over again, he was still not satisfied, so he deleted the phrase, ‘I love you to the moon and back’ and replaced the sentence with, ‘I love you to infinity and beyond.’ He was about to press the send bottom when an idea popped in his mind so he added, ‘let’s talk over dinner at Chevy’s restaurant. She loved Chevy’s restaurant. Then he clicked the send button. In a few minutes, her phone buzzed again, but she did not hear it. How could she have heard it after every part of her body was locked in Adedamola’s tight embrace?
                                           
                                        THE END

           
           
           







Comments

  1. Beautiful. I enjoyed every bit of it. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!!!..this was so emotional!..... The end?!.... 😧... Wat about emeka

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a beautiful write tho and nice story as well, I love the fact that Oyinye could stand to her rights and adedamola could also recognize is misdeeds and admit it as well and also be humble, (only few men do that these days) wat a beautiful sensual love they shared as well. Thumbs up!... Job well done with good articulation and expressions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I burnt my pancake because I didn't want to drop my phone while reading the story and also screamed out loud when Ademola mentioned he was AS as well only to discover it was a joke.
    Anyways, it is a very brilliant write up, I must commend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waooh. WHY END. I want to attend the wedding!smiles. This is a lovely story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn. That’s why it’s important to always hold on to good things and never let go. A great read as always

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end is so emotional. I pity Emeka. But I want to be with who I love. Don't mistake pity for love. I love the fact that she broke down Adedamola's backbone. They are both in control. Thanks Mariam. Please I want another story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captivating indeed. We humans don't always value what we have until we lose it. I love the fact that Onyinye spoke her mind and Damola admit his faults. Oh poor Emeka but love conquers all.
    Next story please!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bedtime Story-Episode One

Beautiful Onyinye-Episode Three

Bedtime Story- Episode Two